So you know what the the TOP 10 TIPS are, if not you can review them here.
Now, here are the helpful hacks to make your move a snap!
- Ask Frances for one of her handy dandy moving kits!
- The 2-3 weeks leading up to your move, plan your meals around whatever frozen food, perishable items, or half open containers that you have around the kitchen. You can also donate your nonperishable items to lighten the load.
- To keep toiletries from leaking during transit, put a piece of plastic wrap over the opening, then screw on the cap.
- Snap a picture of the back of your TV and other electronic devices. That way, you know exactly which wires go where when you’re setting up in the new place!
- As you dissemble furniture, keep all screws and hardware in a plastic bag. Label the bag and tape it to the furniture itself, or designate a separate box with hardware for all your furniture.
- Label the sides of boxes so you can read the labels even when the boxes are stacked. Or use the many pre-labelled stickers that I provide.
- Use laundry baskets, trash bins, and suitcases as boxes.
- While your clothes are still hanging in the closet, put them inside a trash bag to make unpacking simpler.
- In lieu of bubble wrap, protect your dishes and fragile items with clothing and linens that you’re going to be moving anyway.
- Avoid nasty smells and leaks by defrosting your fridge completely the night before your move.
- Use rubber bands to keep pots and lids together.
- Fill up pots and pans with spices containers, dish towels, and other kitchen items to save space.
- Put knives inside an old oven mitt to prevent injuries.
- String electronic wires through paper towel rolls to avoid tangled messes.
- Write the contents of each box on the box, or on an inventory list. If you’re feeling tech savvy, create an Excel document that tracks the contents of each box. Simply search for the item that you need in the document, and you’ll know which box to open!
- Put jewelry in egg cartons to keep your necklaces from knotting and tangling.
- Use rubber bands to prevent getting locked out. String a rubber band around one door knob, then cross it over and wrap it around the door knob on the other side to keep the door from locking.
- Unpack your boxes by room to prevent constant back and forth trips around the house, especially if you have stairs!
- Keep valuables like your Social Security Card on your person during moving day.
- Keep all your moving day essentials in an overnight bag. It’ll prevent having to sift through boxes to find your laptop, toiletries, clothes, and medications!
- Keep a snack bin available during moving and unpacking. Load it up with water, protein bars, chips, or whatever you need to stay fueled during your move.
- Buy cereal, milk, and other easy breakfast items so that there’s food available the morning after moving day.
- Pack the items that you’ll need most immediately in a clear plastic bin, or a labelled specifically “open first” box. Think: bed sheets, hand soap, towels, etc.
For more tips, or a helpful moving checklist, click here.
If you’re considering a move, or purchasing a home in the Guelph, Puslinch or surrounding area, call me at 519-824-9050 ext. 235 or contact me here:
CONNECT WITH FRANCES:
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE HERE on YOUTUBE