Raise your hand if you’re ready to get back on track and make the most of 2021! 🙌 This year was, without a doubt, more challenging than most for a lot of people. There were plenty of obstacles this year and we could all benefit from a fresh start in 2021! Now that 2020 is coming to an end, we have the opportunity to think about what we want to improve in the year ahead. To help get ahead in 2021, I have a few strategies to boost my (& hopefully your) productivity in the new year. Mainly looking at optimizing any downtime, trying to keep goals front and centre, and make time for self-care.
1. Make Every Minute Count: – Instead of idling when you have some extra time, check some much needed tasks off your to-do list. You’ll be surprised at how much you can accomplish when you optimize your down time.
TIP: Use time gaps between appointments to organize your desktop or clean up your inbox.
2. Keep Your Workspace Tidy: At work, nearly 91% of employees’ say they’d get more done if their space was better organized. To be more productive in work and life, find an organizational method that works for you.
TIP: Minimize desk clutter by sorting reports or papers in magazine holders, and shred any items you do not need. Try to consistently declutter your space one to two times a week.
3. Daily Goals: Get Laser-Focused – Block out distractions when you’re in the zone, and always keep your goals front and centre. With your eyes on the prize, you’ll be more motivated to hustle – and get more done during the day.
TIP: Write down the top three priorities you must accomplish each day to achieve larger monthly goals.
4. Reset and Recharge: In order to commit more of yourself to your work, family and friends, you need to practice self-care and fill up your own tank first.
TIP: Prioritize time to unwind. You might make time for movement, pick up a hobby, take regular walks in nature or even schedule some days off.
Time Block Your Way to success
Chaotic schedule? Time blocking can save the day and squeeze more out of your daily schedule! When you plan your 2021 work and family schedules, try out these strategies.
Time Blocking: Scheduling your day into chunks of time to focus on specific activities.
1. Priorities Come First – At the start of each week, schedule non-negotiable activities first, then place everything else around that. Urgent tasks should relate to your long-term goals! Getting tied up with non-essential tasks? Drop what you’re doing and switch your focus to the top priorities.
TIP: Consider setting a timer so you stick to your set time blocks!
2. Time Batching: Group together similar tasks to maximize your time. You’ll streamline your focus, get into a flow state and reduce the time you spend shifting gears between projects. TIP: Turn off notifications on your phone while working.
3. Utilize Tech Tools: Use Google Calendar or iCal to color code your schedule according to the type of event: business, personal, family / kids, etc. Sync it across all your devices to always know your next move! Tip:Schedule time for relaxation and leisure at the end of the work day to motivate you to get everything done!
EXTRA TIP: Squeeze in a motivational podcast on long commutes!
As you plan your fresh start for 2021, I hope you can use these productivity strategies to keep you organized, motivated and energized. When you do, you’ll be ready to hit the ground running and field any obstacles that might come your way.
My wish for you in 2021 is a simple one – continued kindness, happiness, and love and an abundance of new blessings straight from above.